Sunday, October 6, 2013

Student mailboxes

So I have been trying to find a way to organize my classroom better as well as make things easier for me. As a teacher, there are a lot of things that has to be done everyday. I always feel like there is more I need to be doing. Up to this point, I have been putting all the papers that need to go home in each child's folder. It takes time to sort through work and put it on the correct folder. Also, when students were absent, their papers would get stacked up and I would have to remember to send it home with them the next day. This process is very time consuming when teachers don't have time to waste. I was looking to get some kind of mailbox system where I could file their work (or have someone else) and the students could get it out and put it in their folders themselves. I looked at many different systems but I just didn't have the space to use them efficiently. I called my sister Athena, who is in an education program now, to see what she thought and if she had any ideas. She described what her teacher she is working with did. I decided to try it! Not only does it not take up space but it was a WAY cheaper them all the other options (a very big plus because now I can use the extra money for something else). This is the system that her teacher uses that I am now using in my classroom: 
Each student has a slot. The extra ones at the top are very useful. I can put things in there that need to go home but I don't have time to do it at that moment. Also, if I get homework copied early I have a place to keep it where it won't get lost. These are hanging on my bathroom door so they aren't in the way but easily accessible. Also, students coming back from their specials classes can put things in there that need to go home so it doesn't get lost and they don't have to dig out their backpacks. I have used this two days now and I love it! My life is easier and it saves time. I give my thanks to Athena and her cooperating teacher! 

No comments: